Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Singaporeans are queueing again. But this time it's not for collectibles, rather, they are trying/hoping to collect money, if any, from the troubled insurer, AIA. This morning as I stepped out of the MRT station I was received by a long queue of people waiting to get into the building. I thought you only get to witness such a scene on TV... There were people of all ages, races, some casually dressed while others look like they took time off from work. The collapse of Lehman Brothers is a rude shock to many - first thought that came to my mind was, who's next? I hope AIG will pull through this one or you have another pool of jobless folks on the ground. We'll know soon.
**********
Mom was admitted this morning for her procedure. Sis was with Dad when I called. Mom was wheeled in at 9:30am and they only saw the nurse at about 2pm. Thankfully, everything went well. I remember the last time when Mom had her Angioplasty I was alone. It was a much shorter wait but any wait outside the operating theatre is a long one regardless. Although there's only 1 per cent risk but you don't want to leave it to chance.
**********
Conversation with the taxi driver on my way home from the hospital.
Driver: Why are you in SGH?
Me: Visiting my Mom.
Driver: Heart problem?
Me: Yes.
Driver: Operation huh? I was a patient of SGH few years ago for 5 days. Doctor wanted me to undergo angioplasty but I refused, and I told her I'm afraid to die...
Me: Oh....
Driver: I started attending medical healing at a church in Tampines St 82 and I've recovered... Won't allow doctors to poke needles into my body, etc. I read some where people die later from too much dye used during the procedure...
Me: .......
Driver: I believe only in Jesus Christ... I believe only in my Jesus Doctor... Want to bring your Mom there? I can help.
Me: It's ok. We're fine.
Driver: Really. I can help. Gimme your number and I can contact you.
Me: Hmmm.... it's ok.
Driver: Believe me. Jesus Doctor can help your Mom.
Me: I'M MALAY, sorry, cannot attend church service/healing
....... silence........

5 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Wow !!!
What a 'religious slam' on the face !!!

Very 'brave' of you to play the religious card....

Anonymous said...

You Malay?I did not know that.
But Malay also can be Christians right?
Haha.

Ismadi

charsiewrice said...

i logged in at 10.30pm to read this after AL told me it's interesting!

i will do it next time.

malay = muslim (ok, no q ask)
chinese --> muslim??? :-O

One-2-Zero said...

Brave huh? You have no idea the amount of courage I had to summount to make that statement, man... I half regretted it when I realize he looks a bit off, but thot since I've started might as well go all out ;P

Madi, no lah... I told him my Mom wears tudung you know (forgot to put that down)... hahaha... that was my ultimate last resort.

Blah Blah Prestige said...

Haha idiot that is a good one!