Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Long service award

Today I was told I've been arrowed to organize one of our colleague's 10th year long service award. I asked for the budget and was told to keep it under $3K. I thought, "wow, so generous...". Then the shocker came when I asked what is she getting as a "token" of appreciation for the loooong service... $3k - $5k (to be decided by boss) *gasp*. Geeez! What did I get at my ex ex ex company?? An atrocious looking gold clock made in Taiwan, that costs US$380 on paper and didn't work a second, and I was taxed for something I can't even use... how nice. Maybe that's their message to me; time to leave before I become part of the furniture. Anyway, true to the Chinese taboo of not giving away clock as gift (song zhong aka send off, in cantonese) I left for greener pastures the very next year.

No comments: